Monday-Sunday: What To Wear
I believe strongly that wearing the right fitness apparel can boost our confidence and help us in our workouts. When I first started going to the gym, I felt so down about not being as fit as everyone else that I actually went out to buy new fitness apparel. It made me feel more confident! I started looking forward to working out and pushed myself even further.
MOVE by Twenty3's designer fitness apparel focuses on both fashion and performance, with a vision to empower us to break our limits! That's what I hope to inspire you to do. Break your limits.
MONDAY (Circuit Training)
Azure Sports Bra in Signature Rose Prints >
Camden Training Shorts in Signature Rose Prints >
Xora Mesh Panelled Tank Top in Black >
Peonies Sports Bra >
Peonies Training Shorts >
Dolores Sleeveless Crop Hoodie with Slogan Print in Cream >
WEDNESDAY (Circuit Training)
Iona Mesh Back Sports Bra in Dark Grey Prints >
Sheara Training Shorts in Black >
Reversible Kiefer Jacket in Black >
Electra Mesh Panel Sportsbra in Black >
Camden Training Shorts in Polka Prints >
FRIDAY (Circuit Training)
Kara High Impact Sports Bra in Grey >
Sheara Training Shorts in Black >
Harlie Straps Back Tank Top in Black >
SATURDAY (Any MOVE)
Karlie Straps Sports Bra in Black (It's sold out online but still available in our retail stores! Find us here!)
SUNDAY (Rest/Going Out)
Cyra Mesh Back Sports Bra in Black >
Bexley Mesh Panel Drawstring Shorts in Black >
Ryleigh Organza Sleeves Jacket with Galactic Embroidery in Black >
Guide To Eating Out
Eating out when you’re trying to eat healthy can be a BIG challenge with all the temptations. This is especially so with all the Nasi Goreng, Hokkien Noodles and 24/7 mamak stalls that are so readily available in Malaysia!
I've learned some ways to cope over the year and I'm sharing it with you here! Now we can all enjoy eating out with family and friends, without sacrificing our health and fitness goals!
Ask for chicken breast and eat without skin! Look at the difference there!
CHICKEN RICE (KAI FAN)
Eat only 1/4 of the rice and ask for steamed chicken breast. Fill up on vegetables, eggs & tofu if they have.
ECONOMY RICE (CHAP FAN)
Similarly, take only 1/4 of the white rice or opt for brown rice, if they have. Get lots of greens on your plate with chicken breast, tofu and eggs for protein.
You can still have Ayam Goreng or tandoori chicken! Just ask for chicken breast and peel off the skin! You can also order hard-boiled eggs, some vegetables like chickpeas if they have and finish off the meal with Limau Ais (without sugar, of course).
YONG TAU FU/STEAMBOAT
Photo Credit: Wong Sze Yuen / www.123rf.com
What's better than a warm hearty meal with family and friends? Get in lots of vegetables here like white cabbage, spinach and mushrooms and fill up on protein, like chicken and fish. The trick here is to try and avoid the fishballs, noodles and fried, processed foods and don't go overboard on the sauces! Try to restrict to 1 tablespoon only.
Photo Credit: Refined Guy
Sometimes we just want a nice cup of drink when we're on the go or sitting at the coffee shop. Black coffee's a great substitute for those sugary frappes we're used to. Plus, black coffee can actually boost your metabolic rate to help with fat burning! Make it a snack with an almond pack (eaten in moderation), or a complete meal with Starbucks' chicken tortilla wrap. Opt for wholemeal if they have!
Salad's an easy go-to with plenty of greens and protein to fill you up! Try to avoid hidden sources of calories like croutons and candied nuts and ask for dressing on the side so you have more control over how much you are eating.
The above are all healthier options and most are budgeted, and also very easy to get! Eating healthy doesn't mean staying at home and meal prepping all the time. It starts with the little changes. Do you have any other tips and tricks to share? Let me know in the comments below!
Recipes I Love
This has got to be the easiest breakfast! There is no cooking involved and it's great to grab and go if you're in a rush. Plus, it fills you up and gives you the energy you need to get the day going!
1/3 cup Raw Rolled Oats
1/3 - 1/2 cup Milk
1/3 cup Greek Yoghurt
Fruits e.g. blueberries, banana
Nuts e.g. almond, walnut
Anything you like! (Just don't go overboard 😉)
1. Put all your ingredients in a bowl or jar and place in fridge overnight.
2. Add the toppings the night before or the next morning and that's it! Yum!
See how I make my Overnight Oats here!
Smoked Salmon Egg Stuffed Avocados
Recipe from Fresh Planet Flavor
Photo Credit: Fresh Planet Flavor
Have a taste of the fancy brunchy cafes in your very own home with this easy, creamy and yummy breakfast packed with healthy fats!
- 4 avocados
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 8 eggs
- Black pepper
- Chili flakes
- Fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Halve the avocados remove the seed. If the hole looks small, scoop out a small bit at a time until it can hold an egg.
- Arrange the avocado halves on a cookie sheet, and line the hollows with strips of smoked salmon. Crack each of the eggs into a small bowl, then spoon the yolks and however much white the avocado will hold.
- Add salt and fresh cracked black pepper on top of the eggs, to taste.
- Gently place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle chili flakes and fresh dill on top.
- Serve warm.
Photo Credit: epicurious, Chelsea Kyle
This is another super easy and quick breakfast that takes us to those weekend brunch feels. It’s one of the most flexible dishes and can be made, just how you like it!
2 eggs (or 3 eggs whites)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Vegetables e.g. spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes
1. Combine salt, pepper, two eggs (or three egg whites) and any extra veggies you'd like in a bowl. Stir well.
2. Heat pan over medium heat. Melt 1/2 tsp of olive oil in pan and add the mixture to pan. Cook 60 seconds or until eggs look the way you like.
3. Once cooked, plate it up and add a side of greens!
LUNCH AND DINNER
Woohooo! I recently discovered this super yummy and super diet-friendly pizza and I am so excited to share it with you! One slice is only 300 kcal, with 53g of Protein, 10g of Fat, and 1.4g of Carbs. This high-fat, high-protein and low-carb diet might even help with mood swings. Here's how you can make it for lunch, dinner or even a quick snack:
150g of Chicken Breast
20g of Mozzarella Cheese
4g of Tomato Sauce
I use the Ozganics Pasta Sauce!
Assuming 86g of chicken & 67g of fries
My version of popcorn chicken set compared to KFC's
I made my own version of KFC popcorn chicken and fries! I'm taking same portion of both, which comes to 86g of chicken breast and 67g of sweet potatoes fries. Check out the difference!
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1. Season the chicken breast with garlic powder, basil leaves, pepper and salt, to taste.
2. Pan fry the chicken with cooking spray (0 kcal for 1 spray only).
3. While for the sweet potato fries, cut it and bake it naked with a bit of black pepper and one spray of cooking oil. That's it! Enjoy guilt-free deliciousness!
I love fries and I used to get mad because I had to eat clean and watch my bf eat fries. So, I did a little Googling and found this super easy recipe!
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1. Slice your sweet potato into the shape of fries (or maybe you'd like to play around with other shapes!)
2. Spray some cooking oil, add black pepper and salt (to taste) and bake them.
Yay, you're done!
The above picture shows the same weight of both healthy and unhealthy fries. As you can see, one large sweet potato fries has 3.8 times less calories than one large McDonald's fries! It all starts with these little changes we make.
Chicken Breast + Tofu Quinoa
This protein-packed meal is super yum and easy to make! It's also filling so you don't feel hungry and get off track. Quinoa's a great substitute for rice and is high in protein but it can take a while to get used to. Try it out and you'll learn to love it!
Tofu (1 piece is around 80 kcal only but it's packed with protein) - To
Salt and Pepper
1. Season the chicken breast with garlic powder, basil leaves, pepper and a pinch of salt and pan fry it with cooking spray (1 spray is 0 calories!)
2. Leave the tofu raw or heat it up.
3. Steam the broccoli.
4. Cook the quinoa! You can use a rice cooker or combine the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan. Then, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the quinoa is tender.
5. Combine it all in a bowl or if you're leaving it for later, store in a glass container and in the fridge. When you want to eat it, just heat it up!
Protein Tuna Egg Muffin (Healthy Otak-Otak)
Credit: @dorissdd and @tammykhoo
This was a recipe given by our Twenty3 Unicorn, Jenni! It's so yummy, like eating otak-otak, but healthy! Seven pieces are only 410 kcal and they're perfect for lunch and dinner on the go too!
3 egg whites + 1 full egg
1 can of Tuna in water
1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil
A bit of Basil + Garlic powder
1. Remove excess water from the tuna can
2. Mix the tuna with the eggs
3. Put in the rest of the ingredients, mix it and put it into any trays or molds you have at home.
4. Bake it for 6 minutes at 250°C! Everyone’s oven is different so check on your muffins from time to time. Enjoy!
Prawn + Capsicum Quinoa
Feel like something other than chicken? Try prawns! This super yummy combo will sure add some colour to your lunch!
14 medium prawns, shelled and deveined
Salt and pepper, to taste
Paprika powder, to taste
1 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons diced garlic
1 tablespoon red chilli, finely diced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 red capsicum, sliced
1 yellow capsicum, sliced
1 green capsicum, sliced
1. Marinate the prawns with salt, pepper and paprika powder and keep aside in fridge for at least 15mins.
2. Heat pan over medium heat and add 1 tbs olive oil to stir fry prawn. Keep aside once cooked.
4. Time to cook the veges! Heat pan over medium heat and add 1 tbs olive oil. Start with the onion. 30 seconds later, add in the garlic. Another 30 seconds later, add in the capsicums and chilli. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. To finish, add in prawns and quinoa 2 minutes later and mix.
6. You can also add in fresh veggies like cherry tomatoes or cucumber on the side for an extra crunchy texture.
Stuffed Sweet Potato
It's been called a superfood because of its health benefits but this sweet potato recipe is also super quick, easy, and yummy!
1 medium sweet potato
Any topping you have on hand (e.g. tuna, black beans, quinoa, chickpeas)
Any sauces (e.g. greek yogurt, cottage cheese, guacamole, salsa, hummus)
1. Place the sweet potato on a microwavable plate and pierce it about 5-6 times with a knife or a fork.
2. Place it in the microwave, and set the timer to 15 minutes. Let it cook until soft.
3. While waiting for it to be cooked, prepare the toppings with what you have on hand. Some of our favourites that go really well together are tuna, black beans, quinoa, chickpeas and spinach.
4. Once cooked, the sweet potato’s thin skin would puff to a crisp finish and you’ll discover a sweet, pillowy flesh! (This depends on the size of the potato)
5. Slice the sweet potato down the middle lengthwise and generously ‘stuff’ in your toppings.
6. Dress it up with sauces, like greek yogurt, guacamole and salsa, that are packed with more nutrients and protein than regular mayo and bottled sauces. But keep in mind not to go overboard!
7. To finish, serve it with a side salad and say ‘Hello’ to your scrumptious meal!
These are some of my favourite snacks to munch on when I need that extra energy. Baby carrots, cucumber and almonds are all great and packed with nutrients, but as with all things, don't go overboard! 😉
You can also try these yummy snacks from The Native Food Company. They're packed with protein to keep you fuller for longer and are super easy to bring around as a treat or an emergency snack when you're hungry!
Do you have any recipes to share? Please let me know in the comments below!
*Vegans and vegetarians can opt to use tofu or any protein to substitute meat.
Get Your Groceries
GROCERY LISTMeal prepping? Start with this grocery list.
Everyone's will be slightly different because we all like different foods and have different dietary requirements but this should be a good base! Remember to always have your list in hand when shopping, whether on paper or on your phone. Stick to the list so you don't wander off and end up buying a box of cookies you do not need!
VEGETABLES & FRUITS
HERBS & SPICES
To help take the temptations away, and save you lots of time and fuel:
Terms and Conditions:
1. Valid only at honestbee.com or via honestbee app.2. Valid till 15th February 2017 and for new customers only.3. Valid with min. purchase of RM 150 and for ONE TIME USE only.4. Not valid with other coupon codes unless otherwise stated.5. Valid only for the areas which are serviceable by honestbee.
Get Your Groceries Here >
Circuit Training Workout
You Ready? Let's Get MOVE-Ing!
Follow along and do each of these exercises as fast as you can in the given time!
Note: If this is your first time, read through the information below and make sure you understand each exercise. The correct form is super important to avoid risk of injury, and really engage those muscles for maximum effect! 💪
Jumping SquatsLay Down Push UpsScissor KicksPlankJumping SquatsLay Down Push UpsScissor Kicks
PlankStep Back LungesCommandosMountain ClimbersPlankStep Back LungesCommandosMountain ClimbersPlankSide to Side SquatReverse PlankReverse Crunches
PlankSide to Side SquatReverse PlankReverse CrunchesPlankBurpeesHand Walk Side to SideRussian TwistPlankBurpeesHand Walk Side to SideRussian TwistPlank
HOW TO DO THEMCheck to make sure you're doing these exercises right! Finding it too tough or not challenging enough? Scale the exercises UP or DOWN to suit you. Don't overdo it, but make sure you are really pushing yourself and working up a good sweat!
Scale UP: Hold a weight, like a bottle of water
Scale DOWN: Normal squats
Lay Down Push Ups
Scale UP: Perform on your feet instead of knees OR Normal push ups
Scale UP: Lift one foot and opposite arm off the floor
Scale DOWN: Bend your kneesPlank
Step Back Lunges
Scale UP: Jumping lunges, alternate sides OR Hold a weight
Scale DOWN: Perform on knees instead of feet
Mountain ClimbersScale UP: Touch knee to opposite elbow
Side to Side Squat
Scale DOWN: Stand up between each side squat
Scale UP: Lift hips up and down OR Keep one foot raised
Scale UP: Straight legs, push heels up to sky
Scale DOWN: Feet may touch the ground
Scale UP: Include a pushup at the bottom of the burpee
Scale DOWN: Step forward to your hands instead of hopping, and don't jump at the end
Hand Walk Side to Side
Scale UP: Add a push up after each hand walk
Scale DOWN: Feet may be on the ground
CHECK YOUR FORM
Got your form right? Click 'Play' to START!
Bookmark this page and come back every Monday, Wednesday and Friday to smash this workout with me!
Disclaimer: We strongly recommend you consult a physician before beginning a new diet or exercise program. By engaging in this exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, and assume all risk of injury to yourself.